Thursday, March 8, 2007

one big huge fuck-up.

last monday i received a letter from the MA version of the IRS. i have already done my taxes and filed last month. this notice is to my address here in NJ, but the addressee is my ex-husband's name. i open it, wondering if they've screwed up his address somehow and want to make sure it gets to him in time. i can SEE his SSN up in the top right corner. so this is really weird...because that's not even close to my number (born in 2 different parts of the country, even).

the letter states that the 2006 tax forms that were filed were not signed and to sign this attached form and remit within 30 days or suffer a lessened return or an exalted tax bill. fine enough.

i call my ex to make sure it isn't him that needs to return this.

he hasn't even filed yet this year. this notice is for ME. so, i call the number listed on this notice and wait to speak to a rep. "Joe Downs", no lie, tells me that after looking up my SSN in his system he finds out that my ex's info is under my number. the one i haven't lived or filed with since 2004.

my ex's info, address and all, is under my social security number. what part of "security" does that exactly reassure me?

so now, i am being forced to fax a copy of my picture ID and SSN to prove i am who i say i am - major lols - even though "Joe" can see my previous years filings under my correctly name and whatnot.

happy fun times.

this is what i get for filing way ahead of schedule. fuck you, irs.


(and i called my ex back to tell him that his SSN might have my info and he better call to make sure it is straight asap)

No comments: